Want to be a successful Beachbody coach? Of course you do. But what does it take? Looks? Skill? Well those things will definitely help but there are a few things that need to happen in the space between your ears in order to truly be a successful coach.
As many of you know I officiate basketball. I absolutely love it and aspire to eventually work at the highest level, the NBA. But before you can expect to get the call you have to be prepared. You have to perfect your craft. While attending an officiating clinic we were discussing the topic of “Mental Training” and as I sat there and listened to some of the top officials in the country talk, I couldn’t help but realize how the points they were making about being a successful referee related so closely to being a successful Beachbody coach. Below are my 10 takeaways from the camp training session and how they apply to Beachbody coaching.
10 Tips to Be A Successful Beachbody Coach
1. Stick with the fundamentals. Many coaches, especially new ones, try to focus on 3-pointers and half-court shots instead of mastering layups first. Ever hear the term “live by the 3, die by the 3”? It’s a reference to a basketball team that takes the majority of their shots behind the 3-point line. Let me tell you, there are very few, if any, teams who have played by this motto who have won a championship. They may have short term success, but it doesn’t last.
2. Have confidence. Whether it’s having confidence in yourself or your products, have confidence. When people sense insecurity they are less likely to believe you when you are sharing your story of how Beachbody has helped you.
3. Take the risk to grow. The things that seem toughest in our lives, make us better. Whether it’s Vegas or life, if you don’t take a risk, you can’t win!
4. Learn to be comfortable being uncomfortable. Stepping out of your comfort zone, whether it’s public speaking, meeting new people or hosting a ‘shake and share’ party will only be beneficial to your business.
5. Control what you can control. You can’t control whether or not someone is going to start their fitness journey, look to improve their health with Shakeology or join your team… so don’t stress about it. Control the things that are controllable by being a product of a product, sharing Beachbody with at least 2 people per day and committing to the other steps in the Game Plan.
6. Be in the moment. When someone tells you “no”, cancels their Shakeology shipment or quits as a coach it can feel like being hit in the gut with a baseball bat. But you shouldn’t let those things bother you. Learn to quickly hit the “reset” button on your day and continue pushing forward.
7. Never, EVER, become complacent. “If you’re not growing, you’re dying.” – James Ray. If you look at all of the top coaches within Team Beachbody, there is one constant, they all strive to get better. They don’t care if they’re 5, 10 or even 15-star Diamond coaches, they want to get better and keep growing, as people.
8. Be prepared when the stuff hits the fan. Life happens. Some things are out of our control. Things are going to get crazy, it’s inevitable. But the true leaders expect for these things to happen and prepare, in advance, how to handle these events and come out on top.
9. Know that there WILL be failure in the process. You’re going to have ups and downs in this business. You will sponsor coaches and coaches will leave. Along the way of anything meaningful will be failures. But it’s not how many times you get knocked down, it’s how many times you get up that counts. You have not failed unless you quit. So don’t quit!
10. Have faith in the process. Growing a successful Beachbody business takes time, effort and some good ol’ hard work. Don’t worry about the results, you can’t control those.
I was truly amazed at how much I took away from this basketball camp and am able to apply to my Beachbody business. Just know that if you follow the Game Plan, trust the process and determine in your mind to never give up, you will have success, it’s inevitable.