When we say spicy here, we mean spicy! This recipe really wakes up the average (and if you’re like me, sometimes boring) chicken with brown rice dinner. Chicken is cooked with fresh veggies, tomatoes, and chili sauce. If you are kinda wimpy like me and need a milder version, substitute plain tomato sauce. 🙂
Spicy Chicken and Brown Rice
Total Time: 1 hr. 10 min.
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cooking Time: 55 min.
Yield: 4 servings
2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided use
1 cup dry brown rice*
2 cups water
¼ tsp. sea salt
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
2 medium celery stalks, chopped
1 lb. raw chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, cut into 1-inch strips
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 (14.5-oz.) can low-sodium diced tomatoes
½ cup all-natural chili sauce
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil (or 1 tsp. dried basil)
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley (or 1 tsp. dried parsley)
¼ tsp. crushed red pepper
1. Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in large saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add rice; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 to 2 minutes, or until rice starts to crackle.
3. Add water and salt. Bring to a boil, covered. Reduce heat; cook for about 30 to 35 minutes, or until rice is tender and fluffy.
4. While rice is cooking, heat remaining 1 Tbsp. oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
5. Add onion, bell pepper, and celery; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Add chicken and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink.
7. Reduce heat to medium. Add tomatoes, chili sauce, basil, parsley, and red pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; gently boil, covered, for 10 minutes.
8. Divide rice between four serving plates; top evenly with chicken mixture.
*Substitute quinoa for gluten free option or omit completely for a grain-free, paleo option.
I love your feedback so please comment below and let me know if you enjoy this Spicy Chicken and Brown Rice Recipe and want to see more recipes like it.
Also, make sure to Pin, Like or Share this Spicy Chicken and Brown Rice Recipe with others who may be looking for a way to spice up their chicken recipes!!
Blessings & good health,
Recipe courtesy TeamBeachbody.com